Thursday, October 13, 2011

Art and World Events


Many things come to mind when remembering attacks on 9/11. I remembered exactly what happened that day. I saw the smoke billowing from the towers through my classroom window. Yet I didn’t understand what was going on.  I was too young and naïve. I had the understanding that occurrences like this are less rare.  A set of old tall gas tanks was imploded the year before not to far away from my home, so it seemed normal. I was not until I saw the news coverage of ground zero that made me realize that I didn’t witness a simple scheduled demolition. Seeing the pain in the faces of the people that were in the area changed my understanding. I was a deliberate attack on United States soil. Awareness took over the mood of my young mind. I wasn’t able to do anything to help. So the only way to help was to remember.

When visiting MOMA PS1 9/11 exhibits, there was a work of art created by Lara Eararette. It is a worn unattended suit case titled “Lost and Fond”.  It represented a change in our passive New York attitude.  Since the attacks, New Yorkers have been more aware of the surroundings. With the help of public agencies, citizens give everything in the city a second look. Compared to twenty years ago it seems that there isn’t any stone left unturned.

Another piece at the PS1 9/11 exhibits was “Ground Zero”.  It is a newspaper clipping of the New York Times showing an areal view of an empty ground zero with green construction paper covering the lot. Created by Ellsworth Kelly, the artiest decides to cover the lot with green construction paper because at the time there was political talk on what should be done with the site. Kelly’s idea was instead of building on it; make great grassy lawn to pay respect to the ones that were lost on the attacks on the world trade center.

Finally, the paintings by Robert Selwyn located in the 9/11 memorial in LaGuardia. Im focusing on three paintings, they were painted separately but if one is taken away than installation wont have its whole meaning. The titles of them are “Airplane #1”, “911 Explosion” and “Airplane #2. Ordered in the same sequence that I stated, two unmarked commercial aircraft seemed to be a heading towards the middle painting of a close up shot of one of the explosions that occurred on September 11, 2001. All three painting painted in detail artist felt it was appropriate to leave the aircraft unmarked. I thought this to be intended as a tribute to the American way before that time.  The explosion represents the change of direction for our country, wanted or not.

“Lost and Found”
  By Lara Eararette
2002

“Ground Zero”
  By Ellsworth Kelly
2003

“Airplane #1” “911 explosion” “Airplane #2”
By Robert Selwyn
2001

3 comments:

  1. when i remember i get scared of that attacked. many people die during that time. the description is pretty . im very impress about description and how its organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything has changed because of 9/11. It is bad memory for us but we always have to remember it. great exmaples and organization !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You describe each of the work to make me have visual understanding of each piece of work...good job

    ReplyDelete